What happens if you stay in Spain longer than 90 days?


What happens if you stay in Spain longer than 90 days?

It’s one thing to peruse the latest available Sotogrande property for sale via an online listings portal like Property Sotogrande, and quite another thing to be aware of the full practical and legal implications of living in Spain – if indeed, this is your aspiration.

Do you, for instance, intend to spend more than 90 days in Spain in a 180-day period as the owner of Sotogrande property? If so, you need to be aware of the relevant restrictions and requirements that apply to your origin country.

Staying in the Schengen area

If you are an EU citizen, you can travel to any country in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa for purposes such as tourism.

The Schengen area consists of 26 European countries (of which 22 are EU states), of which Spain is one. This area guarantees unrestricted travel within the territories.

As the Schengen area does not have internal border controls, this means member states do not carry out border checks at their internal borders, and carry out harmonised controls at their external borders.

In other words, although this advice applies to people wanting to stay in Spain longer than 90 days, the same applies to those moving to Portugal, Greece, and the many other Schengen area countries.

The 90 days will start counting from the date you enter any of the Schengen countries. However, due to Brexit, British citizens will now need a visa for staying in Spain for longer than 90 days, or for work, professional, artistic, or religious activities.

What happens if you want to stay longer than 90 days?

To stay longer than 90 days in any 180-day period, you must meet the entry requirements set out by the Spanish government.

So, if you are planning to work, study, or be there on business, this could mean applying for one of the below visas or work permits.

  1. 1. EU citizenship

EU citizens do not need any visa or residence permit to live, work, retire, or study in Spain, in accordance with the EU’s free movement of labour agreement.

  1. 2. Short-stay Schengen visa (visado de corta duracion)

Non-EU citizens must have a Schengen visa in order to stay for up to 90 days – although according to the latest information, UK citizens are covered by a Schengen waiver. You must apply for long-term residency if you wish to stay longer.

  1. 3. Combined residence and work visa (visado de trabajo y residencia)

The combined residence and work visa allows you to live and work in Spain.

  1. 4. Student visa (visado de estudios)

A student visa permits you to reside in Spain for the duration of an educational or training course.

  1. 5. Residence visa (visado de residencia)

Residence visas are mainly for family reunification or retirement.

  1. 6. Long-stay or non-lucrative visa (visado nacionale)

The long-stay or non-lucrative visa entitles you to live, work, retire, or study in Spain, as long as you spend at least six months of the year there.

  1. 7. Golden Visa

A golden visa grants high-capital investors permanent residency in Spain if they make a €1,000,000 transfer or invest €500,000 into Spanish property.

There is no guarantee that by the time you read this, the above will still be current information. We would therefore advise you to directly check the latest arrangements that apply between Spain and your country of origin, if you do intend to move to Sotogrande from abroad.

Our online portal here at Property Sotogrande brings together listings from multiple trusted estate agents serving this highly desirable part of the Costa del Sol. It’s therefore a great first port of call when you’re seeking to learn about the latest opportunities to purchase Sotogrande property for sale.